On July 15, 2020, the Protocol on cooperation and exchanges between the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine and the Ministry of Education and Science of the Republic of Bulgaria for the 2020/2021, 2021/2022, 2022/2023, 2023/2024 academic years was signed, regulating educational relations between the countries for the next four year period.
The signing of the Protocol took place in Kyiv and in Sofia in the format of a video link with the participation of the Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of the Republic of Bulgaria to Ukraine Kostadin Kodzhabashev and the Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary Ambassador of Ukraine to the Republic of Bulgaria Vitaly Moskalenko.
On behalf of the Ukrainian side, the Protocol was signed by the acting Minister of Education and Science of Ukraine Sergiy Shkarlet, on behalf of the Bulgarian side – Minister of Education and Science of the Republic of Bulgaria Krasimir Valchev.
Thus, the Protocol provides for such forms of cooperation:
- exchange of candidates for higher education on educational/educational qualification degrees “bachelor” or “master” (except for the specialties “Health and Sports” and “Art”);
- exchange of teachers and scientists for internships and research work;
- establishment and development of direct ties between educational institutions of both countries;
- support for the study of the Ukrainian and Bulgarian languages as selective disciplines in the specialties of various professional areas in higher education institutions in Ukraine and Bulgaria;
- exchange of professional development teachers in teaching Ukrainian and Bulgarian languages in accordance with etc.
“The Joint Protocol is an effective tool in the implementation on a parity basis of mutual exchanges of teachers, lecturers and lecturers and sending school graduates to study in leading educational institutions of Ukraine and Bulgaria. And today we signed a Protocol extending the Ukrainian-Bulgarian friendly cooperation for the next academic years and opens up new horizons for both sides. I am firmly convinced that the Ukrainian-Bulgarian cooperation in the field of education will continue to develop and deepen in the future – on the basis of consistency, mutual benefit and effectiveness”, – said the acting Minister Sergiy Shkarlet.
Sergei Shkarlet also assured that the Ukrainian and Bulgarian sides are working together to meet the educational needs of the Ukrainian national minority in Bulgaria and the Bulgarian national minority in Ukraine.
Cooperation with the Republic of Bulgaria in the field of education is carried out in accordance with the Agreement between the Ministry of Education of Ukraine and the Ministry of Science and Education of the Republic of Bulgaria, signed on December 9, 1994. The previous one on cooperation and exchanges between the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine and the Ministry of Education and Science of the Republic of Bulgaria was valid during the 2015/2016, 2016/2017, 2017/2018 and 2018/2019 academic years and, by agreement of the parties, was extended to 2019/2020.