Ukrainian scientists have a number of opportunities to join the implementation of the ERA vs CORONA Action Plan. It was developed by the EU to counter the COVID-19 outbreak and the effects of the pandemic through scientific and clinical research.
“Of course, the Action Plan remains focused primarily on the consolidation of research, medical research and clinical data within the EU, and also defines the mechanisms for combining the financial capabilities of the EU and the Member States. However, the associated countries have the opportunity and are encouraged by the EU side to participate in parts available to them”, – said in the message of the Delegation of Ukraine to the EU.
In particular, there are such opportunities:
Search for projects on «European Research Area corona platform».
Thanks to the associated status in the Horizon 2020 program, Ukrainian researchers can take part in thematic competitions dedicated to the fight against COVID-19. In addition to the Horizon 2020 contests, the platform contains useful links to other scientific projects and events carried out by international organizations and consortia.
Participation in events of the EU member states and associated countries.
The section “National activities” of the mentioned platform contains information on national measures of the EU member states and associated countries that are open for participation of foreign partners. The section also contains useful links and contact details. If scientific events are open for international cooperation in Ukraine, the EU side can post relevant information on the platform. To do this, you can contact the Directorate of Science and Innovation of the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine (email@example.com) or Delegations of Ukraine to the EU.
Increased visibility of national research findings to consolidate efforts and find partners.
To find potential partners (both for projects against COVID-19 and others), the EC conducts a search on the specialized platform “H2020 Results platform”. It is filled by the researchers themselves and is an important element for demonstrating the results obtained, competence and directions of possible work. If Ukrainian researchers previously participated in the research of the Horizon 2020 program on health protection and combating the consequences of the pandemic, the EU side calls for the creation of appropriate reports in the system.
In addition, on July 28, the EC published a Manifesto (Manifesto for EU COVID-19 Research) – an appeal to the European community to make information on collaborative research on COVID-19 and their results available and open. Public and private institutions are invited to support the Manifesto (no legal implications).
We remind you that earlier Ukraine took part in two rounds of consultations between the EU and associated countries, providing a meaningful overview of national activities in line with the ERA vs CORONA Action Plan. In addition, Ukrainian participants joined the EUvsVirus Hackathon competition (April 24-26), where they demonstrated excellent results among associated countries – 6 of our representatives entered the top 117 finalists from around the world.
The ERA vs CORONA (European Coronavirus Research Area) action plan was presented on April 7 this year. It includes optimizing funding opportunities for researchers and innovators, disseminating information about such opportunities, and launching a collaborative platform for research and innovation. The action plan in the short term, in particular, provides for:
- establishing coordination of funding for research and development activities against COVID-19;
- creating opportunities to attract third-party funding sources to participate in COVID-19 research activities;
- creation of a single platform for financing relevant activities;
- the creation of a high-level ad hoc Working Group on COVID-19 Research;
- ensuring priority access to research infrastructure;
- facilitating the exchange of research results on SARS-CoV-2 and COVID-19;
- expanding and supporting large European clinical trials for the clinical management of COVID-19 patients;
- strengthening support for innovative companies involved in countering COVID-19;
- a new competition under the Horizon 2020 program will focus on innovative and rapid responses to COVID-19 that can quickly improve the preparedness of health systems or have a quick social impact;
- conducting pan-European hackathons to mobilize European innovators and civil society.